Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Memories of Memaw Josie


I've spent most of the day cooking in the kitchen getting ready for Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow. It seems that in my family so much tradition has been passed down with recipes and dishes that every time I go to cook a meal like this I can't help but remember those I love. Every time I make corn bread I am reminded of my Memaw Josie. I remember standing next to her in the kitchen learning how to make what was one of her favorite dishes. I remember her saying "now you pour the buttermilk in there until its thick like cake batter. Not to thin and not to thick. Be careful". And today every time I'm pouring in the butter milk I think of her saying that to me. I can even still hear the sound of her voice. I couldn't even to tell you today how to make the corn bread without showing you because its recipe like so many others she shared with me were not written - they were made with the eyes or the feeling of a spoon. I dumped this pan of corn bread out and instantly thought of her - it looked just like the bread she use to make and it smelled perfect. I could almost hear her saying good job with her coy little smile across her face - I know she would be proud. The other amazing part of this story is I make the corn bread in the same iron pan that she used - it honors me to carry on such a tradition. I took the hot pan over to the sink and put the cold water on it and watched the steam blow up - something I had to wait until I was a big girl to do and I turned and found my son watching me. I wonder if he'll have the same memories of me one day that I have of my family. I can only pray that he does and that he to will carry on tradition.


Happy Thanksgiving everyone! I hope that everyone takes the time to reflect and be grateful for the blessings we have in everyday life. God Bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment